Fortnite by Epic Games is the latest Player vs Player (PvP) mode game for children and adults of all ages. The game has been so popular, it actually got to beaking point at one stage where it reached 3.4 million concurrent users. As Epic Games explains:
“It’s been an amazing and exhilarating experience to grow Fortnite from our previous peak of 60K concurrent players to 3.4M in just a few months, making it perhaps the biggest PC/console game in the world!”
It’s quite impressive how a games developer can develop and portray a culture by their actions. One example is this postmortem of the technical details about the challenges scaling a game so rapidly. A great read for you techies out there.
Below we cover some basics to get you started and more specifically around the cross-platform functionality.
PS4/Xbox squad up with friends on PC, Mac, and Mobile
As outlined in the section PS4 cross-platform functionality, you can connect with friends on PC, Mac and Mobile by linking your PlayStation Network Account (Xbox One account for Xbox) to your Epic Games Account. The below steps use PS4 as an example.
1. Create an Epic Games Account
- Browse to the https://www.epicgames.com site
- Click the profile icon
- Depending on your option, select either the Signup link, Google Account or Facebook Account
- Enter your details:
- Display Name = Your display name must be between 3 and 16 characters, and may contain letters, numbers, and non-consecutive dashes, periods, underscores and spaces. This is the name used within the game. RedSauce recommendation is to avoid using a child’s name.
- Login to the email account you used during the above signup
- Verify the email address by clicking the link sent by Epic games and login with the account name and password you created above
2. Link your PlayStation Account to your Epic Games Account
- Login to your Epic Games account
- Browse your profile from the menu and select Account
- Browse to Connected Accounts as per below and click Connect.
- You will then be prompted to enter your PlayStation Network details
3. Add friends who you know
- Login to the Fortnite game
- Click the icon that looks like a group of people in the top right corner
- Click the + icon and enter the persons Display Name or email address